“There is no fear in love.” 1 John 4:18
Nominations, expressions of interest, and resumes should be submitted to Duncan Sahner, co-chair, Avail search committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
64,000 abortions are performed in New York City each year, the equivalent of 37% of viable pregnancies. That is the largest number for any city in America. (cf. #2 Los Angeles with 43,000 annual abortions). Avail’s vision is to intervene in this injustice so that New York becomes a city where life is valued and lives are transformed. Avail seeks a leader who knows that authentic love overwhelms the fear that drives abortion. Our next CEO’s passion, firmness of purpose, gift for strategy, narrative genius, and ability to love unconditionally will carry Avail to the next level.
In 2015, Avail embarked on a five-year strategic plan. Our next CEO will be excited by the growth described in these priorities and the opportunity to give them further shape. The CEO will lead the scaling of Avail’s fundraising capabilities to meet these objectives:
- Reach more clients. Our new flagship office allows us to triple the number of clients we see each year (currently more than 1,000 on a budget of $1.6mm). Avail will implement an aggressive online marketing campaign to reach thousands more women and men who need our services.
- Change more minds. Avail will apply a data-driven approach to client services. In particular, we will expand our support and resources for men, as data underlines that men have a tremendous impact on women’s decisions.
- Promote healing. We will expand the after-abortion program by at least 10x to reach women who need to find hope and healing.
- Expand to additional locations. As client numbers increase, Avail will evaluate whether and how to expand to additional locations in strategic parts of New York City.
- Increase awareness. Avail will expand awareness through partnership, churches, and public initiatives to increase awareness of its hope-filled, gospel-centered approach.
Mission: Our mission is to empower New Yorkers facing an unintended pregnancy or past abortion with critical support and resources to inform their decisions, build healthy relationships, and promote healing.
Summary of the Position: The CEO has full responsibility for the organization, and is most importantly the Chief Fundraiser for Avail. In addition to fundraising, you will pursue excellence in leadership, setting strategy, overseeing operations, and public relations. You will be supported by a strong internal operations team to allow you to have a largely external facing role and to facilitate the ability to raise a substantial annual operating budget. You will work closely with the Board of Directors to create a strategic plan and to advance Avail’s vision. You will be responsible for recruiting and managing a team of high-capacity leaders who desire to have an impact on the issue of life in New York City.
The CEO is expected to carry out all responsibilities in a manner consistent with his/her personal faith in Jesus Christ. This is a full-time position based in New York City.
- Primary responsibility for raising all funds to support Avail’s operating budget
- Lead and work closely with the VP for Advancement towards a strategic fundraising strategy and plan execution
- Hire and oversee advancement team and all fundraising efforts, including major events
- Build relationships with high capacity donors and foundations
- Be involved in visibility and expansion of Avail’s ministry in the community
- Represent the ministry and services of Avail to the community and media
- Oversee development of all public-facing communications
- Work closely with the Board to promote public awareness of the ministry
- Oversee development of relationships with churches and faith-based organizations
- Communicate a tangible vision to unify and motivate internal and external stakeholders
- Develop and execute a strategic plan securing Avail’s present and future
- Track key performance indicators and report regularly on organizational performance
- Hire and develop a strong executive leadership team, including client services, operations, marketing, and development
- Lead meetings and prayer time with staff to ensure a Christ-centered organization
- Report regularly to the Board of Directors
- Coordinate with COO on annual budget and audit
- Oversee financial records and major expenditures for budget and purchase requests
- Be a committed Christian who demonstrates a strong personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord
- Agree with and be willing to uphold the Mission Statement, Statements of Faith, Core Values, and Code of Conduct for Avail NYC
- Exhibit strong commitment and dedication to the sanctity of all human life as outlined in scripture and taught by Christian doctrine
- Be able to provide Biblical leadership, discipleship, encouragement, and direction for staff members and volunteers
- Have substantial experience developing and implementing strategic plans and goals
- Exhibit strong skills in interpersonal communication, public speaking, writing, and effective media relations
- Have experience in fundraising, advancement or development
- Have 3+ years of experience in an executive position with direct experience managing paid staff in a high-performing and professional office setting or environment
- Have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a related field, or related experience equivalent
History of Avail and Looking Forward: Avail was founded in 1996 by a group of women in a Bible study of Redeemer Presbyterian Church. Behind the city’s high abortion rates they saw women and men who needed a safe haven to gather information and support to make a decision. From its initial corps of volunteers operating in borrowed space on a shoestring budget, Avail has grown into the city’s largest pregnancy care center. After ten years at the helm, our current CEO is retiring to spend more time assisting her husband’s ministries, but will offer her successor ongoing assistance with strategic fundraising initiatives for Avail.